Acne is a condition which is often the despair of teens and young adults, but it may also target babies and children, cats and fully mature adults.
Acne starts as minor skin eruptions due to inflammation of the sebaceous glands. These tiny glands, found on hair shafts all over the body, produce sebum, a thick, oily substance that lubricates the skin. A hormonal imbalance common during puberty, menstrual periods, pregnancy, or when first using oral contraceptives may trigger over activity of the sebaceous glands. If the follicle isn’t plugged fully, skin pigments may oxidize and darken, forming a blackhead.
Except in cases that cause widespread skin eruptions and scarring, acne is in generally safe and responsive to treatment. It is commonest during puberty and could cause substantial mental trouble.
Eruptions have a tendency to decline by one’s twenty’s, but may insist in some. Among girls, acne may first appear in the 20s and 30s. Unexplained outbreaks of acne in older adults could be an indication of a more major underlying problem.
Clusters of red, inflamed cysts in more serious cases ( cystic acne ).
Thick, firm painless piles below the outside of the skin ( sebaceous cysts ).
Grease, tar, heavy oils, cosmetics, tight clothing, or anything more that will physically block the pores.
In adults, underlying medical conditions, including ovary or adrenal gland dysfunction, for instance polycystic ovary illness and Cushing’s syndrome.
there’s not much proof that diet modifications will cut back the prevalence of acne in those happy, though good hygiene may reduce severity.
Picking or squeezing acne cuts may increase the risk of infection and scarring.
Tips to get rid of Acne
Acne and pimples are very common during the adolescent years and for some people it carries on to the adulthood and beyond. The hormonal changes during the tenage is one of the primary causes of acne. While there is nothing much one can do about the hormonal change, there are a few things we can take to ensure that we keep acne in check.
Following are some of the tips you can follow to keep the acne breakouts in control.
- Wash your face frequently with a mild soap. The oil secreted in the skin can cause acne breakouts and infection.
- Avoid junk foods and oily and fried foods. They are not easily digestible and clog up the elimination channels. This makes the body to use the skin as its secondary eliminatory medium for toxins and wastes, resulting in infections like acne.
- Take foods rich in fiber and include green leafy vegetables and fruits as a part of your diet routine.
- Get a daily regular exercise. It is proven that there is a connection betwen exercise and acne. You might have noticed that athletes and sportsmen hardly get any skin infections.
- Keep yourself free of stress as stress can increase the chance of a breakout.
Severe acne needs attention. You need to get the help of your doctor and at the same time there are several natural acne treatments that are available that can provide good relief. At times, the acne results in scars and blemishes. Acne scar removal treatments need to be sought for treating acne scars.